Hope, empowerment, recovery. Those of us with lived experience know how these simple words have the power to change our lives. Together we shared that reality for three incredible days in Halifax where we affirmed what we already know; that peers intuitively understand peers. We are so excited - there was so much to celebrate…
In the coming months we will continue to share conference highlights and resources with you, but for now, here’s the latest on what PSAC Canada is doing.
Nova Scotia implements provincially funded peer support program.
- Nova Scotia is at the forefront of transforming mental health care using PSACC standards of practice.
- Advice from those who made this happen – have a plan and stick with it.
- In the words of Canada’ s first PSACC Certified Peer Supporter and peer support lead for Nova Scotia, Roy Muise, It is a dream come true!
PSAC Canada certifies Canada’s first peer supporters.
- Certificates awarded to Canada’s first PSACC Certified Peer Supporters (CPS).
- Rigour and assessment will facilitate acceptance of this work.
- Grass roots origins of peer support honoured – while gradually gaining acceptance into the mainstream mental health system.
- Plans are in the works to build on this success.
Peer support programs are coming to the workplace.
- Durham Police, NAV Canada and Emira Power are sample workplaces with programs in place.
- Other governmental and private organizations will implement soon.
- Real evidence that access to peer support is increasing.
Peer support is alive and well in our communities, hospitals and even on-line.
- Programs are as diverse as the peers that they serve.
- Peer supporters must be fully integrated into the health care team.
- We know peer support works – our vision is to ensure that peer support is highly recognized and valued as a fully integrated component of the mental health system, accessible to all individuals and family members affected by mental health challenges and illnesses.
Peer Support Accreditation and Certification (Canada) [PSACC] is a not-for-profit organization created to provide national certification and accreditation services in accordance with nationally endorsed standards of practice for mental health peer supporters. Its corporate mandate includes undertaking research and evaluation pertaining to peer delivered mental health services and programs.
For more information about PSACC please go to www.psac-canada.com